1 (golf) the standard number of strokes set for each hole on a golf course, or for the entire course; "a par-5 hole"; "par for this course is 72"
2 a state of being essentially equal or equivalent; equally balanced; "on a par with the best" [syn: equality, equivalence, equation] v : make a score (on a hole) equal to par
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)
par usually "par." in American English
- Equal value; equality of nominal and actual value; the value expressed on the face or in the words of a certificate of value, as a bond or other commercial paper.
- Equality of condition or circumstances.
- The allotted number of strokes to reach the hole.
- He needs to make this shot for par.
- Young salmon (also spelled parr)
- transitive golf To
reach the hole in the allotted number of strokes.
- He will need to par every hole in order to win this game.
Etymology 1From par#Middle Low German, from par.
Etymology 2From par.
InflectionThird declension, variation of one ending (3:1E).
Nounpar, (plural: pares)
Adjectivepar, (plural: pares)
- (number) even.
- meaning 'world' in English, உலகம் in Tamil.
- பார், 'see' in English, pronounced 'paar'.
Par may refer to:
- Page address register
- .par and .par2, Parchive file types containing recovery data used to fix other files
- .par, file type associated with Solid Edge document
- .par, file type associated with the Perl Archive Toolkit
- Par (command), UNIX filtering command
- Positive acknowledgment with re-transmission, TCP/IP method of reliable data transmission
- Par contract, a bridge contract that results from optimal bidding by both sides and which neither side could improve by further bidding
- Par (golf scoring format), scoring format for golf used as an alternative to Stableford and stroke play
- "Par Lenor", character played by Max Grodénchik in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes "The Perfect Mate" and "Captain's Holiday"
- Par-T-One, Italian electroclash band led by Sergione Casu and Andrea Pareo
- Par (score), classification measure of each hole on a golf course that reflects the distance between the tee and green
- Par., an abbreviation of the Paralipomenon
in economics and organisations
- Aragonese Party (Spanish: Partido Aragonés or "PAR"), political party which advocates the interests of Aragon within Spain
- Haw Par Corporation, company responsible for Tiger Balm ointment, based in Singapore
- Par Pharmaceutical, a manufacturer of generic drugs based in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, United States
- Par value, financial term for the value of a security
- Portuguese Association of Ryerson, Portuguese-Canadian Educational group
- Pull to par, financial economics concept
in science and technology
- Parabolic aluminumized reflector or "PAR light", a type of floodlight
- Participatory Action Research, research methodology
- Photosynthetically active radiation, measurement of the amount of photosynthetically active wavelengths in light
- Pixel aspect ratio, the aspect ratio of a single pixel in digital imaging and video
- Possible Allergic Reaction, warning accompanying some E number encodings for food additives
- Precision Approach Radar, military instrument approach system
- Pro Action Replay, brand of expansion cartridges for various home video game consoles
- Protease-activated receptor, cell receptor that is activated by cleavage
- Peak-to-average ratio
- Pseudoautosomal region, Homologous DNA sequences on X and Y chromosmes
- Philippine Area of Responsibility, the area in which the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration monitors for tropical cyclones
par in German: PAR
par in Spanish: PAR
par in Esperanto: PAR
par in French: PAR
par in Italian: PAR
par in Dutch: Par
par in Japanese: PAR
par in Norwegian: Par
par in Polish: Par
par in Swedish: Par
alike, asking price, at par, au pair, average, balance, bearish prices, bid price, book value, bullish prices, call price, center, closing price, coequality, coextension, commensurate, correspondence, decline, drawn, equal, equality, equalized, equation, equilibrium, equipoise, equipollence, equiponderance, equity, equivalence, equivalency, even, even stephen, evenness, face value, fifty-fifty, fixed price, flash price, flurry, flutter, generality, golden mean, half-and-half, happy medium, high, identity, issue par, issue price, juste-milieu, justice, knotted, level, levelness, like, likeness, low, market price, market value, mean, median, mediocrity, medium, middle, middle course, middle ground, middle point, middle position, middle state, middle-of-the-road, midpoint, nip and tuck, nominal value, norm, normal, offering price, on a footing, on a level, on a par, on even ground, opening price, par value, parallelism, parity, poise, price, proportion, proportionate, put price, quits, quotation, quoted price, rally, rule, run, sameness, settling price, square, stalemated, standard, stated value, swings, symmetry, tied, via media